The adoption process can be an exciting time in the life of you and your child. There are many important steps to the process, many of which if missed, can delay your unification as a new family. Some of these requirements are:
- You must be at least 21 years old
- You must be financially stable
- You must complete an application to adopt
- You will share background and lifestyle information
- You will need to provide personal or professional references
- You must provide proof of marriage and/or divorce (if applicable)
- You will be required to have a home study
- You and all adults living in the household will need to submit to a criminal background check and a child abuse check on all adults living in the household.
Adoption through the foster care system is a popular choice for many Texans. People who may consider adopting through the foster care system may find it a suitable option for the following types of families:
- Those caring for a child who cannot be reunited with his or her birth family
- Families who want to adopt regardless of age, race, gender or special needs
- Families who want to help a child in need of a home
- People who would like to adopt but cannot afford other adoption methods
Call Cowart Law Offices to schedule a consultation at either of our convenient locations for a more personal assessment of your situation.